Saturday, October 27, 2012

Megan Nichole McKendrick

Megan was born September 28, 2012 at 3:07 a.m.  Megan was originally due Sept. 19, 2012. So my doctor scheduled me to come in Thursday, the 27th to check me in and then start me bright and early Friday morning at 5:00 a.m.  So I worked Thursday and Matt and I went to TX Roadhouse before checking in.  I was feeling a little bit nervous but anxious and excited to meet our little girl.  8:00 p.m. rolled around and a nurse was hooking me up and putting needles/IV to my arms.  Matt and I both agreed that he would stay with me until I was comfortable and ready to go to sleep and then he would head home to and come back in the morning for the big day.  The first nurse (I think her name was Mary), said I was not dilated to a 3 yet, which I was blown away with since at my last doctor visit I was at a 3. She also told me to be prepared for a long day of labor and I would probably have her at 6:00 p.m. on Friday.  I next received a cervidil for my cervix around 9:00 p.m..  The nurse informed me after 2 hours I could eat something.  After a half hour I started experiencing some intense pain.  Before the nurse left she stated that I would start to feel some pain.  I was shaking and feeling cold.  Matt kept asking me if I was okay and I just kept counting down the time until we could remove the cervidil.  I received a new nurse due to shift changes and at 11:00 the nurse saw how much pain I was in and checked me and informed me I was having contractions and I was at a 5! I kept thinking, "I wonder what contractions feel like, because whatever I am feeling is painful."  Matt gave me a hard time and was joking with me saying, "Nicci you were having contractions, why didn't you tell us that you were in that much pain!"  In my defense, I never felt I contraction so I didn't know what they were like and the nurse said I would be experiencing pain due to the cervidil so I thought it was related to that.  The nurse then informed us that we were going to be having a baby before she got off work at 6:00 a.m.  Matt and I looked at each other and I told me he wouldn't be going home to get some sleep. I was also wanting to go to sleep and try to get some rest before the big day.  The second nurse (Jessica) was great!  She saw how much pain I was in and got me the epidural by 12:45 p.m. Women who chose not to get the epidural are crazy!  I was on cloud nine afterwards. I've never felt so relaxed.  Jessica then called the on call doctor who is the head of the practice, Dr. Bishop.   She then informed us that if we want anyone in the delivery room, now is the time to call.  So around 1:30 a.m. Matt called Christa and my mom.  When Christa heard, she questioned Matt, "It's time for what?"  Matt replied, "Nicci is at a 10 and the baby will be here soon!"  Matt woke up my mom and she threw some clothes on and rushed out the door.  Laurie arrived first, followed by Christa at 2:00 a.m.  The doctor got me started at 3:00 a.m. and after 4 pushes she was here at 3:07 a.m.  Megan came out with her hand resting on her cheek. It was a wonderful delivery and great experience.  She weighed 8 pounds 3.5 ounces. 

The first week home was HARD! Matt and I joked and said we wanted to go back to the hospital.  While I was there, I would send her to the nursery at night to bond with the other babies.  I was so exhausted after working and then giving birth.  She had her days and nights mixed up.  Matt and I would do shifts. I would got to sleep for a couple of hours and then Matt would trade me.  After that week, it's gotten so much better. Last night she fell asleep around 11:00 p.m. and woke up at 4:00 a.m. to eat!  

Matt is a wonderful dad.  He gets up with me during the night, changes her diapers, and is very protective over her.  I guess it's different when it's a man's own child.  After a couple of days, on the way home from school he stopped at H&M and bought her a cute pink sweater, cute jeans, and white smurf shoes.  I'll post pictures.  What a sweet dad! He wants his girl to be stylish.  Megan loves her baths and is really a good baby which is a blessing!  We can't imagine our life without her and love every moment with her.  

Funny story- My sister Katie is here from Idaho Falls.  She made delicious chocolate chip cookies the other night. I had just gotten done feeding Megan and Matt was holding her.  Matt was talking to Megan and said, "Megan I wish you could have one of these cookies and dip it in your milk!"  Megan than stuck her tongue out like she was saying "Oh yummy that sounds good!"   
 Megan's first time going to Church.
 Megan after her first bath.  I love this picture.
 Megan and Matt during tummy time.
 Megan at the hospital.

Here is Megan with her friend Sam who was born a week after Megan.  Here are the jeans and pink sweater I mentioned Matt bought at H&M.  Maybe she should be a baby model for them with her cute cheeks and big ol' belly.


Jill said...

I loved reading your whole story! She is beautiful! I have never seen you looks so pretty. You look wonderful as a mother. Love ya! Keep posting pics. Jill

Danny & Alyssa Coon said...

You look so good and she is just precious! We are so happy for you guys, babies are seriously the best! :)